Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham

From Naval History Archive
Revision as of 15:00, 7 June 2021 by Peter McHugh (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search
Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Chatham, Kent, England
TypeNaval Hospital
Site information
OperatorRoyal Navy
Controlled byBoard of Admiralty
(1905-1961)
Site history
In use1905-1961
Installation information
Past
commanders
Resident Surgeon/Medical Officer in Charge

The Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham was a medical facility of the Royal Navy that opened on 26 July 1905 and was operational until 1961.

The hospital was an associated naval establishment within the naval command area the Nore Station.

History

In 1827 the former Melville Hospital in Chatham opened with the courtesy title 'Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham' and served as such until the larger, purpose built hospital opened in 1905. The older hospital was then taken over by the Royal Marines as an extension to their existing baracks in Dock Road and re-named Melville Barracks.

On the 26th July 1905, H.M. King Edward VII opened the new Royal Naval Hospital at Chatham. He carried out the opening ceremony using a gold key, which had been presented to him in a silver casket. He then toured the hospital's day rooms, operating theatre, offices, men's wards and kitchens.

The hospital was in operational service with the Royal Navy from 1905 until 1961 when the Royal Navy vacated it. It was handed over to the NHS in 1961 and is now known as Medway Maritime Hospital.

References