East Africa Squadron
|East Africa Squadron|
|Active||origin 1862, formal 1872-?|
|Role||Anti-Slavery Patrol & Preventative Force|
|Part of||East Coast of Africa Station|
The East Africa Squadron was a naval formation of constituent ships assigned to the East Coast of Africa Station first established in 1873. It was based at Zanzibar.
During the 1850's and 1860's the Royal Navy was operating in the Indian Ocean off the coast of East Africa fighting to suppress the Eastern Slave trade operating out of Zanzibar up to the North Coast of the Arabian Sea. Between 1862 and 1872 the British operated a detached East Africa Squadron.
In 1873 treaties were signed between Great Britain and the Sultanates of Muscat and Oman and Zanzibar allowing for a permanent naval presence on the Zanzibar coast that became known as the East Coast of Africa Station.
- Howell, Raymond (1987). The Royal Navy and the slave trade. London: Croom Helm. p. 119. ISBN 9780709947707.
- Allain, Jean (2012). Slavery in International Law: Of Human Exploitation and Trafficking. Leiden, Netherlands.: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. p. 62. ISBN 978-90-04-18695-8.
- "Sudans Twenty Year Refugee Dilemma". The International Journal of African Historical Studies. Africana Publishing Company. 21 (1–2): 184.