Devonport Dockyard (New Zealand)

From Naval History Archive
Revision as of 14:14, 7 April 2021 by Peter McHugh (talk | contribs) (new page)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search
HMNZ Dockyard, Devonport
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Part of New Zealand Station (1920-1941)
RN Base, Auckland in New Zealand
TypeNaval Dockyard
Site information
OperatorNaval Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg Royal Navy
Controlled byBoard of Admiralty Flag 20th Century.png Board of Admiralty
Site history
In use1888-1940
Installation information
OccupantsNew Zealand Naval Forces
New Zealand Squadron
Royal New Zealand Navy

Devonport Dockyard or formally His/Her Majesty's Dockyard, Devonport was a Royal Naval Dockyard developed by the Department of Admiralty beginning in 1888 to service ships of the British Royal Navy until 1920 when it became a repair and resupply base of the New Zealand Station until 1940 then later the Royal New Zealand Navy.

The dockyard was located at Devonport Naval Base, Auckland.


Naval operations began at Devonport Naval Base in 1841. A blacksmith shop, a slipway and a barrack block were added to the base by 1864 and the Calliope Dock was officially opened in February 1888. The Navy exchanged the original site at Torpedo Bay for swampland next to the dry dock in 1891 and the site was officially declared as a Royal Navy naval base following the construction of a wharf by 1909.

Additional facilities, including fuel storage tanks, firing range and sports facilities, were built after the depot and training ship HMS Philomel arrived at the base in 1921. By 1930, several workshops were added to the dry dock and the first refit of a cruiser was undertaken in 1931.

A new agreement was signed between the Auckland Harbour Board, the New Zealand Government and the Admiralty in 1936. According to the agreement, land, workshops, wharves, jetties and seabed owned by Auckland Harbour Board were transferred to the Crown. The ownership of the dry dock continued with the Auckland Harbour Board. A gymnasium (now the chapel), and the Royal New Zealand Navy Hospital (RNZNH) were built in 1941.


As built the Calliope Dock measured 525 ft (160 m) by 110 ft (34 m), narrowing to 80 ft (24 m) at the gate. The water on the sill was 33 ft (10 m) deep.[1] It was extended in 1936, 1943 (to 185 m (607 ft)) and again in 1996.

Administration of the Dockyard