The origin of the Accountant Branch of the Royal Navy lays in the rank of Purser who was a specific warrant officer assigned to ships responsible for finance and accounting. In 1849 the purser was granted Commissioned Officer status. In 1852 his title was changed to that of Paymaster, the same year an elevated rank of Paymaster-in-Chief was introduced who became head of the branch. In 1918 a new head of the branch was introduced that Paymaster Director-General he held the rank of Paymaster Rear-Admiral. In October 1944 the Accountant Branch was renamed the Supply and Secretariat Branch. The term pay master was abolished and commissioned officers in the new branch became known as supply officers defined by the designation (S) for example Captain (S).
Branch Colour (1863-1944)
In 1863 The Royal Navy introduced coloured cloth on to their uniforms in 1863, so that it was possible to distinguish between naval branches and admiralty departments. the accountant/paymaster branch colour was designated white. The branch colour continued to be used by the Supply and Secretariat Branch until 1955 when, all distinguishing colours were abolished except for medical, dental, wardmaster officers and the Special Branch of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.
Accountant/Paymaster Branch Colour from 1863 to 1953 was white, used by Senior Officers.