|Country||Dominion of New Zealand|
|First||Captain Thomas Acland Williams|
For command purposes the Royal Navy was divided into a number of major or local stations, fleets or or other formations, each normally under an admiral or senior officer.
Wellington Harbour, also called Port Nicholson, inlet of Cook Strait indenting southern North Island, New Zealand. The almost circular harbour measures 7 miles (11 km) by 6 miles and covers a total of some 31 square miles (80 square km). At least 60 feet (18 metres) deep over most of its extent, the bay is one of the world’s finest natural harbours.
Entered by Captain James Cook in 1773, the inlet was surveyed in 1826 and named for Captain John Nicholson, harbourmaster at Sydney. The port, first used by sealers and whalers, was chosen in 1839 to be the site of the initial New Zealand Company settlement. European settlers arrived in 1840 and established Britannia at the mouth of the Hutt but later moved southwest to Lambton Harbour, an inlet in Wellington Harbour, around which the city of Wellington grew.
Wellington is the capital of New Zealand, and is situated at the southern tip of the North Island.
- "Records of Stations and Fleets". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Kew, Surrey, England.: National Archives UK. 1702–1969. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Admiralty, British (July 1919). "Other Senior Naval Officers or Officers in Charge at Ports Abroad". The Navy List. London, England.: H.M.S.O. p. 700.