Wei Hai Wei Dockyard
|HM Dockyard, Wei Hai Wei|
|Part of China Station (1865-1941)|
|Liugong Island, Wei-Hai-Wei in China|
|Controlled by||Board of Admiralty, UK.|
|Occupants||Royal Navy China Squadron|
Wei Hai Wei Dockyard or formally His Majesty's Dockyard, Wei Hai Wei also known as Wei Hai Wei Shipyard was a Royal Naval Dockyard developed by the Department of Admiralty beginning in 1898 after a leasing arrangement concluded with China. It was a repair and resupply base of the China Station until 1930 when control returned to China, however the lease on the dockyard was extended by 10 years and continued to be used by the Royal Navy until 1940.
Prior to 1898 Wei Hai Wei Shipyard was the headquarters of the Imperial Chinese Navy's, Northern command and naval HQ of the Beiyang Fleet. The colony of Wei-Hai-Wei (now Weihai) was one of Britain’s newest imperial possessions, as it was leased from China in 1898. Situated in northern China at the end of the Shantung peninsula (now Shandong), it offered a secure harbour for the Royal Navy to protect British interests in the region. It served as a base for the Anglo-Japanese operation to capture the nearby German colony of Tsingtao.
The Royal Navy inherited a small dockyard on Liugong Island when this territory was leased from China at the end of the nineteenth century. The yard was expanded, and served as a regular summer anchorage for the ships of the China Squadron, until 1930 when control returned to China, however the lease on the dockyard was extended by 10 years and continued to be used by the Royal Navy until 1940. The British vacated the dockyard when Japanese forces moved into the area during World War II and after by People's Liberation Army, some historic buildings remains today.