Training and Staff Duties Division
|Headquarters||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
|Parent Organisation||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Training and Staff Duties Division was a military staff division of the Admiralty Naval Staff established in 1917 it existed until 1945 when its responsibilities were changed and it was renamed to Tactical and Staff Duties Division. The division was in control of training and officers education. It was administered by the Director Training and Staff Duties Division.
The Training and Staff Duties Division was established as part of the reorganisation of the Admiralty in 1917 under the command of Rear-Admiral James C. Ley. The DTSD Director of Training and Staff Duties, was a naval officer (usually a captain) employed within the Admiralty he was mainly responsible for the administration of officers education. He was expected to comment on all questions of officer education and suggest answers to problems, but was rarely required to sit on committees and did not have an active role in formatting syllabi. In June 1945 it was renamed Tactical and Staff Duties Division the directorate existed until 1958.
Director of Training and Staff Duties Division
- Rear-Admiral James C. Ley: December 1917-April 1918
- Captain Herbert W. Richmond: April 1918-January 1919
- Captain Walter M. Ellerton: January 1919-December 1921
- Captain Vernon H.S.Haggard: December 1921-September 1923
- Captain Hugh J.Tweedie: September 1923-January 1926
- Captain Arthur L. Snagge: January–July 1926 (later vice-admiral)
- Captain Sidney J.Meyrick: July 1926-July 1927
- Captain Noel F. Laurence: July 1927-April 1928
- Captain Isham W. Gibson: April–December 1928 (later rear-admiral)
- Captain Bernard W.M. Fairbairn: December 1928-April 1929 (later vice-admiral)
- Captain Edward O. Cochrane: April 1929-August 1931 (later rear-admiral)
- Captain James S. M. Ritchie: August 1931-June 1933 (later rear-admiral) 
- Captain Geoffrey S. Arbuthnot: June 1933-March 1934
- Captain Frederick A. Buckley: March 1934-May 1936 (later rear-admiral)
- Captain A. Lumley St. G. Lyster: May 1936-September 1937
- Captain William L.Jackson: September 1937-April 1940
- Captain James W. Rivett-Carnac: April 1940-July 1941
- Captain Richard V. Symonds-Tayler: July 1941-July 1942
- Captain Harry P. K. Oram: July 1942-June 1945
- Romans, Elinor Frances (March 2012). "Selection and Early Career Education of Executive Officers in the Royal Navy c1902-1939" (PDF). ore.exeter.ac.uk. Exeter, England: University of Exeter. p. 5. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p31. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Harley, Simon; Lovell, Tony. "Bernard William Murray Fairbairn - The Dreadnought Project". www.dreadnoughtproject.org. Harley and Lovell, 22 August 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Archives, The National. "Gibson, Isham Worsley (1862-1950) Rear Admiral". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. National Archives, 1914-16. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Archives, The National. "Snagge, Arthur Lionel Date of Birth: 04 May 1878 Rank: Vice Admiral". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. National Archives UK, 15 July 1892. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Person Page: Rear-Admiral Sir Edward Owen Cochrane". www.thepeerage.com. The Peerage 31 December 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Archives, The National. "Ritchie, James Stuart Maclaren Date of Birth: 12 March 1884 Rank: Rear-Admiral". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. National Archives, 15 May 1899, ADM 196/91/150. Retrieved 9 February 2020.