Torpedo, Anti-Submarine and Minewarfare Division
London, Great Britain
|Parent Command||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Torpedo, Anti-Submarine and Minewarfare Division was a directorate of the Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy established in September 1945, and was responsible for formulating and developing strategies in relation to under surface warfare and controlling the development of new under surface naval weapons. In November 1950 it was renamed the Undersurface Warfare Division.
The division evolved out the earlier Anti-Submarine Committee set up in 1910, that coordinated the admiralty's earliest anti-submarine warfare proposals sent for consideration by the Board of Admiralty. Further systematic assessments and experimentation would take place from 1911 until 1915 when the Board of Invention and Research was established. It went through numerous name changes succeeding the Anti-U Boat Division in September 1945. In November 1950 its name was altered to the Undersurface Warfare Division.
Director, Torpedo, Anti-Submarine and Minewarfare Division
- Post Holders included:
- Captain Edward Russell Gibson, 3rd Baron Ashbourne: September 1945-April 1947
- Captain Robert Spencer Warne: April 1947-December 1948
- Captain Wilfrid J.W. Woods: December 1948-November 1950
- Henry, Chris (2005). Depth Charge!: Mines, Depth Charges and Underwater Weapons, 1914-1945. Casemate Publishers. p. 21. ISBN 9781844151745.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p38. Retrieved 9 February 2020.