Tactical and Staff Duties Division
|Headquarters||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
|Parent Organisation||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Tactical and Staff Duties Division was a directorate of the Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy responsible for the tactical use of naval weapons and the training of naval personnel in relation to operational requirements from 1945 to 1958. It replaced the earlier Training and Staff Duties Division.
In 1917 a Training and Staff Duties Division was established as part of the reorganisation of the Admiralty in 1917 under the command of Rear-Admiral James C. Ley. The DTSD Director of Training and Staff Duties, was a naval officer (usually a captain) employed within the Admiralty was mainly responsible for the administration of officers education. He was expected to comment on all questions of officer education and suggest answers to problems, but was rarely required to sit on committees and did not have an active role in formatting syllabi. In June 1945 it was renamed Tactical and Staff Duties Division and its remit was altered the division would now become responsible for the tactical use of naval weapons and the training of naval personnel in relation to operational requirements. The division existed until 1958.
Director Tactical and Staff Duties Division
- Post Holders included:
- Captain Charles L. Robertson: June 1945-May 1947
- Captain Royer M. Dick: May 1947-November 1948 (later rear-admiral) 
- Captain Richard G. Onslow: November 1948-April 1951
- Captain W.Kaye Edden: April 1951-October 1953
- Captain Walter A. Adair: October 1953-November 1955
- Captain Guy W. Hawkins: November 1955-January 1958
- Romans, Elinor Frances (March 2012). "Selection and Early Career Education of Executive Officers in the Royal Navy c1902-1939" (PDF). ore.exeter.ac.uk. Exeter, England: University of Exeter. p. 5. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p31. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- "Dick, Royer Mylius, Rear-Admiral, 1897-1991 - National Maritime Museum". collections.rmg.co.uk. Royal Museum Greenwich, UK, 1914-1986. Retrieved 4 January 2018.