Surveyor and Rigger of the Navy
|Office of the Surveyor and Rigger of the Navy|
|Member of||Offices of the Clerks of the Kings Marine|
Council of the Marine
|Reports to||Lieutenant of the Admiralty|
|Nominator||Lord Admiral of England|
|Appointer||Monarch of England|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (usually held for life)|
|Inaugural holder||Vice-Admiral, Sir Thomas Spert|
The Surveyor and Rigger of the Navy was an Navy Royal appointment created in 1524 originally one of the Offices of the Clerks of the Kings Marine. In 1545 the office holder became one of the Chief Officers of the Admiralty and a member of the Council of the Marine. In 1578 the council of marine was replaced by the Navy Board at which point the post holder became a principal officer and commissioner of that board. In 1660 their title was changed to Surveyor of the Navy
The office was established in 1524 under Henry VIII of England when the post holder was styled as Surveyor and Rigger of the Navy until 1660.the Surveyor's office drew the designs to which the private shipbuilders were required to build the vessels. Until 1745 the actual design work for warships built at each Royal Dockyard was primarily the responsibility of the individual Master-Shipwright at that Royal Dockyard. the post holder held overall responsibility for the design of English warships
- Vice-Admiral, Sir Thomas Spert, 1524-1541 
- Benjamin Gonson 24 April 1546 - June 1549. 
- Admiral Sir William Wynter 8 July 1549. 
- Rear-Admiral Sir Henry Palmer 11 July 1589.
- Sir John Trevor 20 December 1598 -1611.
- Sir Richard Bingley 1611-1619.
- Thomas Norreys 1619-1625.
- Joshua Downing 1625-1628.
- Sir Thomas Aylesbury, 1st Baronet, 1628-1632
- Kenrick Edisbury 1632-1638
- Vice-Admiral Sir William Batten, MP. 1638-1649
- John Holland 1649-1654
- George Payler 1654-1660