The Steam Branch was a subsidiary of the Department of Admiralty established on 1850 following a renaming of the Department of the Comptroller of the Steam Machinery. It was superintended by Chief Engineer and Inspector of Steam Machinery. In 1860 it was renamed as the Department of the Engineer-in-Chief of the Navy.
Head of Department
Chief Engineer and Inspector of Steam Machinery
- Thomas Lloyd, 1850-1860.