|Part of||Admiralty Naval Staff|
|In Command||Director Signal Section|
|First||Rear-Admiral Sydney R. Fremantle|
|Last||Captain Edward M. Phillpotts|
The Signal Section was a component of the Admiralty War Staff then later Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy responsible for responsible for naval ship to shore communications. January 1918 the section was renamed the Signal Division. It was administered by the Head of the Signal Section.
In 1906 the Admiralty set up a Signals Committee to initially investigate signalling between Royal Navy vessels and Merchant Navy vessels, in 1914 the Admiralty War Staff had established an expanded Signal Section to deal with all shore to ship communications following the abolition of the war staff function. The Signal Division was established on the 18 August 1917. The divisions primary role was for receiving and sending signals to ships at sea and stations ashore, but also for the coding or ciphering of the signals. In January 1918 the section was renamed the Signal Division until 1921 when it was again re-styled Signal Department still within the Naval Staff until 1942 when it reverted to Signal Division, it continued as a component part of the Naval Staff until 1964 when the Admiralty Department was abolished and replaced by a new Navy Department within the Ministry of Defence.
Director Signal Section
- Rear-Admiral Sydney R. Fremantle, September, 1914 – July, 1915.
- Captain Christopher R. Payne, January, 1916 – May, 1917.
- Captain Edward M. Phillpotts, August, 1917 – January 1918.