|Part of||Admiralty Naval Staff|
|In Command||Director of Signal Division|
|First||Acting Captain Richard L. Nicholson|
|Last||Captain John R.G. Trechman|
The Signal Division was a staff division of the Admiralty War Staff then later Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy responsible for responsible for naval ship to shore communications. January 1918 the Signal Section was renamed the Signal Division. In 1920 it was renamed the Signal Department until 1942 when it revetred back to its former until 1964. It was administered by the Director of Signal Division.
In 1906 the Admiralty set up a Signals Committee to initially investigate signalling between Royal Navy vessels and Merchant Navy vessels, in 1914 the Admiralty War Staff had established an expanded Signal Section to deal with all shore to ship communications following the abolition of the war staff function. The Signal Division was established on the 18 August 1917. The divisions primary role was for receiving and sending signals to ships at sea and stations ashore, but also for the coding or ciphering of the signals. In January 1918 the section was renamed the Signal Division until 1921 when it was again re-styled Signal Department still within the Naval Staff until 1942 when it reverted to Signal Division, it continued as a component part of the Naval Staff until 1964 when the Admiralty Department was abolished and replaced by a new Navy Department within the Ministry of Defence.
Director of Signal Division
- Captain Edward M. Phillpotts, August, 1917 – December 1917.
- Acting Captain Richard L. Nicholson, January, 1918 – November, 1919.
- Rear-Admiral Cedric S. Holland: March 1942-November 1943
- Rear-Admiral Vaughan Morgan: November 1943-October 1945
- Captain John R.S. Haines: October 1945-April 1947
- Captain Gilbert R. Waymouth: April 1947-September 1949
- Captain Ralph G. Swallow: September 1949-December 1951
- Captain Roy S. Foster-Brown: December 1951-February 1954
- Captain Alwyn D. Lenox-Conyngham: February 1954-November 1955
- Captain Robert F. T. Stannard: November 1955-November 1957
- Captain Christopher A. James: November 1957-November 1959
- Captain Edward T.L. Dunsterville: November 1959-March 1960
- Captain W. John Parker: March 1960-November 1961
- Captain John R.G. Trechman: November 1961-January 1965
- Mackie, Colin. "Senior Royal Navy Appointments from 1865" (PDF). Gulabin. Colin Mackie, p.55, January 2020. Retrieved 18 July 2020.