|Part of||Royal Navy|
|Garrison/HQ||Sheerness Dockyard, Kent|
|First||Vice-Admiral Charles Elphinstone Fleeming|
|Last||Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Hotham|
The Sheerness Station was was created in 1834 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy divided its worldwide responsibilities., it encompassed Chatham Dockyard and Sheerness Dockyard and ships not attached to other fleets. Command of the station was usually vested in an Admiral or a Vice-Admiral known as the Commander-in-Chief, Sheerness Station. The command was renamed the Nore Station in 1899.
The Nore is a sandbank at the mouth of the Thames Estuary and River Medway. The origins of this station can be traced to the first naval command covering the same area that was called the Thames Station it was commanded by the Commander-in-Chief, Thames from 1695 to 1696. It had been known by different names until it was permanently based at Chatham in Kent England from 1899 to 1961.
From 1698 to 1699 the Admiralty established a Medway Station that was superintended by the Commander-in-Chief, Medway. That station was deactivated from 1700 until 1706. In 1707 a Thames and Medway Station was formed under the command of the Commander-in-Chief, Thames and Medway before being abolished once more. In 1711 the Admiralty reestablished a Thames, Medway and Nore Station under the command of the Commander-in-Chief, Thames, Medway and Nore until 1745.
In 1745 a Commander-in-Chief, Nore was established at Chatham in charge of the Nore Station . In 1747 it was renamed the Medway and Nore Station controlled by the Commander-in-Chief, Medway and at the Nore until 1797. In 1815 the North Sea Station based at Ramsgate was abolished its forces, units and staff were absorbed within this station. The name was changed back to the Nore Station until 1826. In 1827 the Commander-in-Chief Nore was accommodated in Admiralty House, Sheerness, built as part of the renewal of Sheerness Dockyard. From 1834 to 1899 the command was known as the Sheerness Station managed by the Commander-in-Chief, Sheerness until 1899. In 1900 it was renamed back to the Nore Station.