Service Conditions Department
|Headquarters||Admiralty, London, England|
|Parent Department||Office of the Second Sea Lord|
The Service Conditions Department was a component of the Department of Admiralty established in June, 1944. The department was controlled by the Director of Service Conditions. In 1953 the department was amalgamated with the Welfare Services Department to create the Department of Director of Welfare and Service Conditions.
In 1944 separate departments were added for manning, service conditions and welfare services. In 1953 the welfare and service conditions departments wer merged creating a single Department of Director of Welfare and Service Conditions. In 1962 that department was renamed the Directorate of Naval Service Conditions until 2003, but now a component of the Directorate-General Naval Personnel Services when it was abolished. The department was a subsidiary of the Naval Personnel Department. This department was controlled by the Director of Service Conditions who reported to the Chief of Naval Personnel (additionally the Second Sea Lord).
Head of Department
Director of Service Conditions
- Captain Casper S.B. Swinley: June 1944-April 1945
- Captain Leonard H. Bell: April 1945-December 1946
- Captain Ralph Heathcote: December 1946-February 1949
- Captain John F. Whitfield: February-October 1949
- Captain Cecil C. Hardy: October 1949-April 1952
- Captain Humphrey G. Scott: April 1952-June 1953