Scientific Research and Experiment Department
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent agency||Department of Admiralty|
The Scientific Research and Experiment Department was a research department of the Department of Admiralty established in 1920 . It replaced the Department of the Director of Experiments and Research. In 1946 the department was renamed the Royal Naval Scientific Service.
The Royal Navy had sponsored and carried out a good deal of scientific research in the nineteenth century, and a number of establishments such as HMS Vernon and the Admiralty Experiment Works had been set up, but the forerunner of the Royal Naval Scientific Service was the Board of Invention and Research, established in 1915 to initiate, investigate and advise on proposals for the application of science and engineering to naval warfare, including inventions sent to the Admiralty by members of the public. In 1918 it became the Scientific Research and Experiment Department. Research and development in naval research establishments and externally to meet naval requirements were the responsibility of the Third Sea Lord and Controller of the Navy.
Under him, supervision of research and development was carried out by an assistant controller research and development. A Director of Scientific Research, first appointed in 1920, was head of the Scientific and Technical Services, responsible for scientific personnel and for formulating general policies with regard to research and development programmes. Under the Assistant Controller (R and D) he was responsible for co-ordination of all research and development work within the Admiralty and of this work with that of other organisations. In 1946 the management of scientific research was reorganised and this department was renamed the Royal Naval Scientific Service it consisted of four specialist directorates.
Head of Department
Director of Experiments and Research
- Charles J. Merz, 1918-1920.
Director of Scientific Research
- Board of Admiralty, Board of Invention and Research, 1915-1918
- Board of Admiralty, Scientific Research and Experiment Department, 1918-1946
- Board of Admiralty, Royal Naval Scientific Service, 1946-1964
- Ministry of Defence, Navy Department, Department of the Chief Scientist (Navy), 1964-1984
- "Records of Royal Naval Scientific Service". Kew, London: National Archives UK. 1912–1995. Retrieved 15 September 2019.
- National Archives UK.
- National Archives UK.
- The Navy List. London: H.M.S.O. October 1918. p. 1842.
- Records of Royal Naval Scientific Service". Kew, London: National Archives UK. 1912–1995. Retrieved 15 September 2019.