Royal Naval Engineering College, Keyham

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Royal Naval Engineering College, Keyham
Board of Admiralty Flag 20th Century.png
Active1880–1940
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Navy
TypeTraining
RoleEngineering
Part ofEngineering Branch
Garrison/HQKeyham, Plymouth, Devon

The Royal Naval Engineering College, Keyham was a specialist training establishment of the Engineering Branch for the training of Royal Navy engineers. It was founded as Keyham College in 1880. In 1940 Royal Naval Engineering College moved to new buildings were opened in Manadon. This facility and the old college site at Keyham, Devon closed in 1958.

History

Construction of Keyham College on the dockside in the Keyham suburb of Plymouth started in February 1879, at a cost of £30,000 and opened in July 1880 as Training Schools for Engineer Students, replacing the hulk of HMS Marlborough which had been used as accommodation for engineering students since 1877. Students spent five years living at the college, and undergoing training in workshops around the dockyard, before spending a further two years at Greenwich college and then assigned to ships as Assistant Engineers.

The college originally only contained accommodation, replacing that provided by Marlborough, but an additional building was later constructed containing lecture theatres, a laboratory and a gymnasium which was subsequently converted to a test engineering shop. The two buildings were connected by a bridge. Later further workshops were added, as was a covered parade ground. An extension to provide accommodation for an additional 50 students was built in 1895-1897.

The Selborne-Fisher scheme of 1903 meant that engineering and deck officers received the same basic training and led the closure of the college in 1910. However it reopened in July 1913 and on the outbreak of the First World War the following year the students were sent off to serve on warships and the college turned over to special entry cadet training. After the war, the college reverted to engineer training.

In Command

Included [1]
  • Commander R. W. Hope, – 1 June 1880 – 20 December 1880
  • Commander: W. M. Annesley, – 20 December 1883 – 20 December 1885
  • Commander: W. D. Morrish, – 20 December 1885 – 7 January 1892
  • Commander: T. B. Triggs, – 7 January 1892 – 6 January 1895
  • Commander A. B. Grenfell – 6 January 1895 – 7 January 1898
  • Commander: H. Talbot, – 7 January 1898 – 1 October 1900
  • Commander: A. E. Tizard, – 1 October 1900 – 6 December 1902
  • Captain: R. S. Lowry, – 6 December 1902 – 6 December 1905
  • Rear-Admiral: T. H. M. Jerram, – 6 December 1905 – 30 July 1908
  • Captain: L. G. Tufnell, CMG – 30 July 1908 – 15 August 1913
  • Engineer Captain: C. G. Taylor, – MVO, 15 August 1913 – 14 September 1914
  • Captain: G. R. Mansell, MVO – 14 September 1914 – 23 August 1918
  • Captain: H. J. T. Marshall, – 23 August 1918 – 1 January 1920
  • Engineer Captain: H. Lashmore, CB DSO – 1 January 1920 – 13 September 1921
  • Engineer Rear Admiral: H. Lashmore, CB DSO – 13 September 1921 – 2 January 1922
  • Engineer Captain: R. B. Morison, CMG – 2 January 1922 – 1 January 1925
  • Engineer Captain: E. P. St J. Benn, CB ADC – 1 January 1925 – 11 April 1927
  • Engineer Rear Admiral: E. P. St J. Benn, CB ADC – 11 April 1927 – 7 August 1927
  • Engineer Captain: A. L. Picton, – 7 August 1927 – 7 June 1930
  • Engineer Captain: E. L. D. Acland, MVO ADC – 7 June 1930 – 19 September 1933
  • Engineer Captain R. C. Boddie, CVO DSO ADC – 19 September 1933 – 12 September 1936
  • Engineer Rear Admiral: R. C. Boddie, CVO DSO ADC – 12 September 1936 – 2 December 1936
  • Engineer Captain: T. Spalding, – 2 December 1936 – 21 December 1938
  • Engineer Captain: C. J. G. MacKenzie, CVO – 21 December 1938 – 1940

Footnotes

  1. "Royal Naval Engineering College". rnecmanadon.com. Royal Naval Engineering College Manadon. Retrieved 10 September 2017.