Royal Marines Office
|Headquarters||New Street, Spring Gardens |
City of Westminster, London
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
The Royal Marine Office also known as Royal Marine Headquarters was British Admiralty responsible for the control and direction of the Royal Marines created in 1825 following the appointment of a Deputy Adjutant General Royal Marines and existed until 1964.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Headquarters Staff Royal Marine Office
- 4 Supporting Staff Officers
- 5 Departments and offices under the Royal Marine Office
- 6 Footnotes
- 7 Bibliography
By an order in Council of 28 October 1664 an Admiral's Regiment, was formed and assigned to His Majesty's Fleets prepared for Sea Service'. Thereafter other regiments were drawn off for sea service from time to time, but it was not until 1694, when two Marine regiments were formed. On 16 May 1702 a separate Marine Pay Office was established. In 1755 it was replaced by the Marine Pay Department administered by the Paymaster of the Marines, the department was responsible for processing marines pay to the Royal Marine Divisions located at Chatham, Portsmouth Plymouth and Woolwich existed as a separate organisation from the military command of the Royal Marine Forces. In 1825 a distinct Royal Marine Office was established following the appointment of a Deputy Adjutant General Royal Marines. The office served as the headquarters of the Royal Marines until 1964. During this period it was part of the Department of Admiralty. The office was based at various locations throughout its history. The Royal Marine Office consisted of a number of subsidiary offices and departments that were responsible for administering specific responsibilities for the Royal Marine forces.
The office was based at
|New Street, Spring Gardens, London||1825-1827|||
|Trafalgar Buildings, Northumberland Avenue, London||1910|
Headquarters Staff Royal Marine Office
Deputy Adjutant General Royal Marines (1825-1914)
Adjutant General Royal Marines (1914-1943)
Commandant General Royal Marines (1943-1964)
Supporting Staff Officers
Assistant Adjutant General Royal Marines
Deputy Assistant Adjutant General Royal Marines
Office of the Superintending Clerk
Departments and offices under the Royal Marine Office
Following the creation of the Royal Marine Office several previously semi-autonomous department and offices dealing with Royal Marine affairs were transferred to this office.
Marine Pay Department (1825-1831)
- Office, Admiralty (December 1827). The Navy List. London, England: John Murray. p. 124.
- Archives, National (1688–1983). "Records of Royal Marines". nationalarchives.gov.uk. London, England: The National Archives.
- Parliament, Great Britain. (1797) The Royal Kalendar and Court and City Register for England, Scotland, Ireland and the Colonies. W. March. London. England.
- Parliament, Great Britain. (1805) The Royal Kalendar and Court and City Register for England, Scotland, Ireland and the Colonies. W. March. London. England.