Royal Corps of Naval Constructors
The Royal Corps of Navel Constructors was a civilian branch of the Royal Navy for the design and navel architecture of British warships and supervision of their construction in Royal Dockyards.
Established by order in Council of 23rd August, 1883 on the recommendation of the Navel architect Sir William White. The Corps was headed by a Director of Naval Construction who was also the principal adviser on warship construction to the board of Admiralty. It still exists, as a branch of the Navel Service. Its precursor was the Royal school of Naval Architecture founded in 1864.