Rear-Admiral, Naval Air Stations
|Rear Admiral, Naval Air Stations|
|Department of Admiralty (1939-1945)|
|Member of||Board or Committee Here|
|Reports to||Fifth Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Air Services|
|Nominator||First Lord of the Admiralty|
|Appointer||First Lord of the Admiralty|
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
|Term length||not fixed|
usually 1-4 years
|Formation||24 May, 1939|
|First holder||Rear-Admiral Richard Bell-Davies|
|Final holder||Rear-Admiral Clement Moody|
|Succession||Flag Officer, Naval Air Stations|
The Rear Admiral, Naval Air Stations was a senior British Royal Navy appointment from 1939 to April 1943. The office holder was responsible for the command of the Fleet Air Arm. In April 1943 the office was renamed Flag Officer, Naval Air Stations.
The post of Rear Admiral, Naval Air Stations was established in 1939 to provide land based support for the Fleet Air Arm, that was transferred from the RAF to the Royal Navy. The office holder was responsible for building and developing naval air stations with different capabilities. In April 1943 the post was renamed as Flag Officer, Naval Air Stations.
- Rear-Admiral Richard Bell-Davies VC, 24 May, 1939 – 30 September 1941.
- Rear-Admiral Clement Moody, 30 September 1941 – April 1943.
- Rear-Admiral, Naval Air Stations (1939–1943)
- Flag Officer, Naval Air Stations (1943–1945)
- Admiral (Air) (1945–1947)
- Flag Officer, Air (Home) (1947–1963)
- Flag Officer, Naval Air Command (1963–2010)
- Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Aviation and Carriers) (2010–present).
- Watson, Dr Graham. "Royal Navy Organisation in World War 2, 1939–1945". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 19 September 2015. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Davies, Richard Bell (2008). Sailor in the air : the memoirs of the world's first carrier pilot. Barnsley, England: Seaforth. p. x. ISBN 9781848320116.
- Admiralty, British. (September 1939). The Navy List, Flag Officers in Commission. London: H.M.S.O. p. 238.
- Jefford, Wg Cdr C. G. (2014). "26". Observers and Navigators: And Other Non-Pilot Aircrew in the RFC, RNAS and RAF. London, England: Grub Street Publishing. p. 257. ISBN 9781909808027.