Prince of Wales Island Yard

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
HM Naval Yard, Prince of Wales Island
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Part of East Indies and China Station
George Town, Prince of Wales Island in British Malaya
TypeNaval Dockyard
Site information
OperatorNaval Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg Royal Navy
Controlled byFlag of the Navy Board 1801 to 1832.jpg Navy Board
Site history
In use1798-1816
Installation information
OccupantsEast Indies Squadron

Prince of Wales Island Yard or formally His Majesty's Naval Yard, Prince of Wales Island was a Royal Naval Dockyard originally founded by the British East India Company. It was formally established as a Royal Naval Dockyard overseas in 1798 and a base of the East Indies Station. The yard was initially managed by the Navy Board. In 1816 the yard was closed down.

History

Georgetown in Polu Penang or Prince of Wales's Island in 1814.

In the 1770s, the British East India Company instructed Francis Light, a British Royal Navy captain, to form trade relations in the Malay Peninsula. The British East India Company sought control of the island as a Royal Navy base, and as a trading post between China and India

The Prince of Wales Island Yard was founded by the British East India Company in 1790 and was located on Prince of Wales Island, (later renamed Penang Island), the Straits Settlements. In 1798 it was taken over by the Navy Board and was used for minor refitting of ships but was mainly used for supplies it had a resident Naval Storekeeper, Prince of Wales Island Yard.[1]

Administration of the Dockyard (Navy Board)

Resident Commissioner, Penang

  1. Captain Peter John Puget, 1810 - 1816.[2]

References

  1. Ellot, Gerald. J. (May 2011). The Royal Navy East Indies & China Naval Station A brief History including Letters from Officers and Seamen. http://ellott-postalhistorian.com/ p.2.
  2. Day, John Frederick. (April 2012) ' British Admiralty Control and Naval Power in the Indian Ocean (1793-1815) (Volume 1 of 2)'. Submitted as a thesis for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Maritime History, University of Exeter. p.113.