Port Admiral, Rosyth

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Office of the
Port Admiral, Rosyth
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Navy Department
NominatorFirst Lord of the Admiralty
AppointerFirst Lord of the Admiralty
Term lengthnot fixed
usually 1-4 years
PrecursorAdmiral-Superintendent, Rosyth Dockyard
FormationSeptember, 1971
First holderRear-Admiral William T.C. Ridley
Final holderRear-Admiral Robert R. Squires
AbolishedDecember, 1983

The Port Admiral, Rosyth was a senior British Royal Navy appointment established on 15 September, 1971 following and order in council all remaining Admiral-Superintendents then serving in the Royal Navy were renamed Port Admirals. The previous office of Admiral-Superintendent, Rosyth Dockyard was abolished and this office holder then assumed those duties a new title.[1] The office existed until December, 1983 when it was abolished.

History

The office was first created in September 1971 following the appointment of Rear-Admiral William T.C. Ridley. The office holder was responsible for the command of the Port of Rosyth including RN Base Rosyth and the Rosyth Dockyard.[2] December 1983 this office was abolished.

Office Holders

References

  1. Horseman, Martin; Shaw, Jennifer (March 1982). "Armed Forces". Royal United Services Institute for Defence Studies. Shepperton, Surrey, England.: Ian Allan Limited: 369.
  2. Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p.113, January 2020. Retrieved 11 March 2020.