|Headquarters||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
|Parent Organisation||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Plans Division  was the former war preparation and wartime strategic planning arm of the Admiralty Department from 1917 to 1964, The division originally became the main policy advisory and formulating body to the Chief of Naval Staff. It later came under the supervision of the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Policy).
The Plans Division was established on 28 September 1917 it evolved out of the earlier Plans Section (Section 16)  of the Operations Division of the Naval Staff. Admiral Sir John Jellicoe, First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff who's view was that plans and operations as functions should be separate and distinct. The division existed until 1964 when the Admiralty department was abolished and its functions merged within a new Ministry of Defence and re-emerged as the Plans and Resources Division that was headed by the Director of Plans and Resources.
Director of Plans
- Rear-Admiral Roger J. B. Keyes, September 1917-January 1918
- Captain Cyril Fuller, January 1918-May 1920
- Captain Barry E. Domvile, May 1920-May 1922
- Captain Arthur Dudley P. R. Pound, May 1922-March 1925
- Captain Wilfrid A. Egerton, March 1925-January 1928
- Captain Roger M. Bellairs, January 1928-December 1930
- Captain John H. D. Cunningham, December 1930-December 1932
- Captain Henry R. Moore, December 1932-November 1933
- Captain Edward L. S. King, November 1933-August 1935
- Captain Tom S. V. Phillips, August 1935-April 1938
- Captain Victor Danckwerts, April 1938–March 1940
- Captain Charles S. Daniel, March 1940-July 1941
- Captain E. Gerald H. Bellars, July 1941-March 1942
- Captain Charles E. Lambe, March 1942-April 1944
- Captain Guy Grantham, April 1944-January 1946
- Captain John F. Stevens, January 1946-January 1948
- Captain Thomas M. Brownrigg, January 1948-January 1950
- Captain R. Dymock Watson, January 1950-April 1952
- Captain Deric Holland-Martin, April 1952-November 1953
- Captain Hector C.D. MacLean, November 1953-January 1956
- Captain E. Duncan G. Lewin, January 1956-December 1957
- Captain Richard M. Smeeton, December 1957-April 1959
- Captain John F. D. Bush, April 1959-November 1960
- Captain Edward Beckwith Ashmore, November 1960-December 1961
- Captain Andrew M. Lewis, December 1961-September 1963
- Captain Peter W. B. Ashmore, September 1963-April 1964 (continued as Director Plans and Resources till January 1966)
- Bond, Brian; Roy, Ian (5 October 2015). War and Society Volume 2: A Yearbook of Military History. Routledge. p. 87. ISBN 9781317414476.
- The Royal Navy Today. Odhams Press Limited, London. 1942. p. 64.
- Grimes, Shawn T. (2012). Strategy and War Planning in the British Navy, 1887-1918. Boydell Press. p. 216. ISBN 9781843836988.
- Hamilton, C. I. (3 February 2011). The Making of the Modern Admiralty: British Naval Policy-Making, 1805–1927. Cambridge University Press. pp. 268–269. ISBN 9781139496544.
- Mackie, Colin. "Senior Royal Navy Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Gulabin, pp.27-29, January 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2020.