|Part of||Department of Admiralty|
|Naval HQ||Valparaiso, Chile (1837-1865)|
Esquimalt Dockyard, Canada (1865-1905)
|First||Rear-Admiral Charles Ross|
|Last||Commodore 1st Class James Goodrich|
The Pacific Station was created in 1837 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy divided its worldwide responsibilities. It was formed when the larger naval command area the South America Station was divided into two separate commands for operational purposes the other being the Brazil Station, it existed until 1905.
In the 19th century Royal Navy ships were regularly used to protect British commercial interests around the world. Political policies formulated by the British governments of the day viewed the Pacific region as a new area for commercial opportunities. The British Admiralty had sent a Pacific Squadron into the region as early as 1813 to control British commerce and safeguard its whaling ships. It would not be for another 14 years that the admiralty decided to locate a permanent naval station in the Pacific.
The Pacific Station was established in 1837 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy divided its worldwide responsibilities. It came into being when the earlier and larger South America Station was divided into two separate Stations for operational purposes the other being the Brazil Station. From 1837 until 1865 the stations headquarters was at Valparaíso, Chile. A new dockyard and naval base was constructed at Esquimalt, Vancover Island, British Columbia, Canada which served as the stations headquarters until it was deactivated in 1905.
Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Station
Commodore of the Pacific Squadron
Naval Shore Establishments
|Royal Naval Hospital, Esquimalt||1855||1922|
- Williams, Glyndwr (1999). Pacific Empires: Essays in Honour of Glyndwr Williams. Vancouver, BC. Canada: UBC Press. p. 69. ISBN 978-0-7748-0758-6.
- Gough, Barry M. (1969). "The Records of the Royal Navy's Pacific Station". The Journal of Pacific History. Canberra, Australia: Australian National University. 4: 146–153. ISSN 0022-3344.
- Walls, John; Johnson, Peter (2015). To the Lighthouse: An Explorer's Guide to the Island Lighthouses of Southwestern BC. Victoria, BC, Canada.: Heritage House Publishing Co. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-77203-046-4.
- Bosher, J. F. (2010). "Imperial Vancouver Island". J. F. Bosher. Bloomington, Indiana, United States: Xlibris. p. 25. ISBN 9781450059626.