Ensign of the final C-in-C, South America Station
|Part of||South America Station|
|Garrison/HQ||Rio de Janiero Brazil|
|First||Captain: James Hillyar|
|Last||Captain: Thomas Ball Sullivan|
The Pacific Squadron was a naval formation established by British Royal Navy in 1813 during the War of 1812. It was the primary naval force the South America Station until 1837, then briefly it was assigned to the Pacific Station.
The British Pacific Squadron was formed in 1813 and placed under the command of the Commodore of the Pacific Squadron. The squadron was the primary naval formation of the South America Station. In 1838 when the South America Station was split up to form two separate naval stations, the Pacific Station and the Brazil Station. The squadron was then reassigned to the Pacific Station for one year before it was disbanded. The squadrons fist commanding officer was Captain James Hillyar holding the temporary rank of commodore. The final commanding officer was Captain Thomas Ball Sullivan.
Commodore of the Pacific Squadron
- Ortiz-Sotelo, Jorge. (1998). Peru and the British naval station (1808-1839). Thesis. PhD Doctor of Philosophy. University of St Andrews. Scotland. https://research-repository.st-andrews.ac.uk/handle/10023/2958. Abstract p.ii.