Offices of the Clerks of the Kings Marine
|Offices of the Clerks of the Kings Marine|
|Member of||Office of the High Admiral of England|
|Reports to||High Admiral of England|
|Nominator||High Admiral of England|
Subject to formal approval by the King-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed|
|Inaugural holder||Clerk of the King’s Ships|
the Office of the Clerk of the King’s Ships also known as Office's of the Clerks of the Navy were originally created to help manage the burden of naval administration upon the High Admiral of England then later Lord Admiral of England from the 14th and 16th centuries. The English Navy and vessels were under the direct or nominal control of the English monarchy were known as the King’s Ships. Three further offices of the Clerks of the Kings Marine were established from 1512 until 1528. These individuals were formally brought together in 1546 as an organisation known as the Council of the Marine and were made collectively responsible for the civil administrations of the Navy Royale until 1660 when it was replaced by the Navy Board.
In the middle ages the Navy was managed by the King in Council, sometimes, after 1360, through an official known variously as the Admiral, High Admiral, or Lord Admiral of England or, from the early seventeenth century, Lord High Admiral, while day-to-day naval administration was by subordinate Keepers of the Kings Ships later called Clerks of the Kings Marine. In 1320 the Edward II of England appointed an officer charged with the civil administration of his ports and ships this office holder originally called Clerk of the Kings Ships or Clerk of the Ships he was the sole naval administrator of the English Navy for nearly two hundred years as the navy was expanding rapidly by the 16th century his workload was divided. This led to the creation of other clerks with specific responsibility for certain areas of naval administration in 1512 a Clerk Comptroller was established he was responsible for ? In 1524 a third clerk was established with the title of the Keeper of the Kings Storehouses. In 1528 a fourth office was created the Treasurer of Marine Causes. Individually the four office holders were responsible for the civil administration of navy and were advisers to the Lord Admiral. By 1544 they were collectively brought together in a body called the Council of the Marine though not legally formalized. In 1545 a memorandum was issued by Henry VIII of England outlining a new organization to be called the Council of the Marine, formalized by Letters Patent in April 1546, and consisting of the Chief Officers of the Admiralty as they were then called. The chief officers become later known as principal officers and commissioners. In 1578 The council of Marine was renamed the Navy Board, it administered and was located at the Navy Office.
Clerks of the Kings Marine
- Office of the Clerk of the King's Ships (1320-1545)
- Office of the Clerk Comptroller of the Navy (1512-1545)
Keepers of the Kings Marine
- Office of the Keeper of the Kings Storehouse at Deptford (1512-1524)
- Office of the Keeper of the Kings Storehouse at Erith (1512-1524)
- Office of the Keeper of the Kings Storehouses (1524-1545)
Treasurers of the Kings Marine
- Office of the Treasurer of Marine Causes (1528-1545)
Following the death of Captain John Hopton in 1524 who concurrently held both keepers offices were unified into a single Office of the Keeper of the Kings Storehouses.
This page includes some copied content the National Archives United Kingdom that is available under the Open Government Licence Version 3.
- http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies (1205-1998) ADM.