Office of the Admiralty Chemist
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent Office||Department of Admiralty|
The Office of the Admiralty Chemist was an Admiralty research department that was responsible for the testing and trials of lubricants, metals and paints for the Royal Navy based at Portsmouth, England from 1867 to 1870 when it was replaced by the Chemical Department. The office was administered by the Admiralty Chemist.
The office of the Admiralty Chemist was created in 1867; as the work of the admiralty chemist was expanding it led to the creation of a larger specialist chemical department with supporting researchers and clerical staff being established in 1870 replacing this office. The office was engaged in metallurgy, chemistry, biology, paint technology and reactor chemistry research.
Head of Department
- Dr W.J. Hay, Esq., F.C.S, 1867-1870
- Board of Admiralty, Office of the Admiralty Chemist, (1867-1870)
- Board of Admiralty, Chemical Department, (1870-1956)
- Board of Admiralty, Central Dockyard Laboratory, (1956-1977)
- Ministry of Defence, Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment (AMTE), (1977-1984)
- Ministry of Defence, Admiralty Research Establishment (ARE), (1984-1991)
- Ministry of Defence, Defence Research Agency, (1991-1995)