Navigation and Direction Division
|Navigation and Direction Division|
|Part of||Admiralty Naval Staff Navy Department Naval Staff|
|In Command||Director of Navigation and Direction Division|
|First||Captain Richard W. Ravenhill|
|Last||Captain John S. Le Blanc Smith|
The Navigation and Direction Division was a staff division of the Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy established in 1946 following a renaming of the earlier Navigation Division, In 1966 it was renamed the Directorate of Navigation and Tactical Control (Naval). It was administered by the Director of Navigation and Direction Division.
In December 1912 a Navigation Department was established as a sub component of the Hydrographic Department. Following changes in the command structure of the Admiralty Naval Staff (1917-1919) this department and thus Director of Navigation came under direct supervision of the office of First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff until 1945. In July 1945 the Navigation Department was renamed the Navigation Division but now as part of the Naval Staff. In 1946 the Navigation Division was renamed the Navigation and Direction Division. In 1966 it was renamed the Directorate of Navigation and Tactical Control (Naval). It was administered by the Director of Navigation and Direction Division.
Director of Navigation and Direction Division
- Captain Richard W. Ravenhill: 1946-December 1947
- Captain Francis B. Lloyd: December 1947-December 1949
- Captain Wilfred G. Brittain: December 1949-December 1951
- Captain Earle H. Thomas: December 1951-January 1954
- Captain Maurice E. Butler-Bowden: January 1954-December 1956
- Captain John E. Jowitt: December 1956-October 1958
- Captain Donald McEwen: October 1958-January 1961
- Captain Colin D. Madden: January 1961-March 1962
- Captain John W.H. Bennett: March 1962-June 1964
- Captain David N. Forbes: June 1964-December 1965
- Captain John S. Le Blanc Smith: December 1965-1966
- Watson, Dr Graham (27 October 2015). "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment, Inter-War Years 1914-1918". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- Admiralty, Great Britain (Spring 1946). "Admiralty: Divisions of the Naval Staff". Navy List. London, England: HM Stationery Office. pp. 1731–1740.