Naval Shipyards York
|HM Naval Shipyards, York|
|Part of North America Station|
|York, Ontario, Upper Canada in Canada|
|Type||Naval Base and Naval Dockyard|
|Controlled by||Navy Board|
Naval Shipyards York was a royal naval dockyard facility and naval base on Lake Ontario at York, Upper Canada. It was established in 1790 and remained operational until 1813 when it was abandoned by the Royal Navy.
In 1790 Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe decided to establish a small naval shipyard and operated before the town of York was populated and up to the War of 1812. The yard was on the western edge of the town (east of the Fort Rouille) and located south of Front Street on the shores of Lake Ontario.
Ships were built along the sand shores using the trees from the forests inland and launched into Toronto Bay. While shipbuilding resumed in York, Upper Canada (and later in Toronto), the naval yards did not build any other navy ships after 1813 and abandoned and likely moved to a safer and more protected location in Kingston Naval Dockyard.