Naval Home Command
|Naval Home Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Dockyard Commissioner's house, Portsmouth Naval Base, Portsmouth|
Naval Home Command was a major command of the Royal Navy created in July 1969 as a result of the merger of the Portsmouth Station and Plymouth Station. It existed until October 2012 when it was abolished.
Prior to the formation of this command the Royal Navy has usually been split into several commands, each with its own Commander-in-Chief. In July 1969 Naval Home Command was created when it absorbed the former responsibilities of the Portsmouth Station and Plymouth Station. As a result of changes in the shore organisation of the Royal Navy four new area/regional commands were created Medway Area Command, Plymouth Area Command, Portsmouth Area Command and Scotland and Northern Ireland. Naval Home Command was controlled and directed by the Commander-in-Chief, Naval Home Command (CINCNAVHOME). In 1994 the post of Commander-in-Chief Naval Home Command was unified with that of the Second Sea Lord following the rationalisation of the British Armed Forces following the end of the Cold War. In 2012, separate existing senior commands were discontinued, with full operational command being vested instead in the First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff.
- Admiral-Superintendent, Devonport, (1969–1970)
- Admiral-Superintendent Portsmouth, (1969-1971)
- Admiral Commanding, Reserves, 1969–1976)
- Flag Officer Commanding, Royal Yachts, (1969–1997)
- Flag Officer Medway and Port Admiral, Chatham, (1969–1983)
- Flag Officer Plymouth (1969–1996)
- Flag Officer Portsmouth and Admiral-Superintendent Portsmouth, (May-July, 1971)
- Flag Officer Portsmouth Area (1971, 1975–1996)
- Flag Officer Portsmouth and Port Admiral Portsmouth, (1975-1996)
- Flag Officer Scotland and Northern Ireland, (1969-1994)
- Flag Officer Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland, (1994–2012)
- Flag Officer Spithead and Port Admiral Portsmouth (1971–1975)
- Flag Officer, Training and Recruitment. (FOTR)
- Senior Naval Officer, Northern Ireland, (1969–1970)
- Owen, Charles (2015). No More Heroes: The Royal Navy in the Twentieth Century: Anatomy of a Legend. Routledge. p. 189. ISBN 9781317387596.
- Turner, B. (2017). The Statesman's Yearbook 2007: The Politics, Cultures and Economies of the World. Springer. p. 1273. ISBN 9780230271357.
- Murray, Douglas J.; Viotti, Paul R. (1994). The Defense Policies of Nations: A Comparative Study. JHU Press. p. 300. ISBN 9780801847943.
- Coakes, Elayne; Willis, Dianne; Clarke, Steve (2001). Knowledge Management in the SocioTechnical World: The Graffiti Continues. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 139. ISBN 9781852334413.
- "DEFENCE (NAVY) ESTIMATES, 1969–70, VOTE A (Hansard, 10 March 1969)". hansard.millbanksystems.com. Hansard , HC Deb 10 March 1969 vol 779 cc991-1120. Retrieved 30 December 2017.