A. C. N. S. (U & T)
|Garrison/HQ||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
The Minesweeping Division was a staff division of the Admiralty Naval Staff first established during World War One (1917-1918) the deactivated. It was re-activated during World War Two (1939-1943) before being abolished. It was administered by the Director of Minesweeping Division
The division was established during the first world war in May 1917 where it reported to the Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff until 1918. when it was disbanded.. In 1918 the First Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Staff Admiral of the Fleet Sir Rosslyn Wemyss re-organised the Naval Staff accordingly: Deputy Chief of Naval Staff to be responsible for Home Waters and under him Air, Operations (Home), Plans and Signal divisions, the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff to be responsible for Trade Protection under him Anti-Submarine, Mercantile Movements, Minsweeping and Trade Divisions, the Deputy First Sea Lord to be responsible for Policy and Overseas and under him Operations (Foreign) Division. The division was reestablished in 1939 at the beginning of world war two and was in operation until 1943 before it was abolished. The division during the latter period was under the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (U Boats and Trade).
Director of the Minesweeping Division
- Captain Lionel G. Preston, 23 May, 1917 – 10 October, 1919.
- Captain Harold Edward Morse, 20 October, 1939– June, 1941.
- Captain John Harvey Forbes Crombie, 2 August, 1943 – 15 April, 1946.
- Donnithorne, Christopher. "Naval Biographical Database: Naval Staff". www.navylist.org. C. Donnithorne. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- Jellicoe, John Rushworth Jellicoe (1920). "Admiralty Organisation". The crisis of the naval war. London, England: London Cassell. pp. 1–32.
- Smith, Gordon. "British Admiralty World War 1". naval-history.net. naval-history.net, 21 October 2014. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- Houterman, Hans; Koppes, Jeroen. "Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 - M". www.unithistories.com. Netherlands: Houterman and Koppes. Retrieved 9 February 2020.
- Houterman, Hans; Koppes, Jeroen. "Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 - C". www.unithistories.com. Netherlands: Houterman and Koppes. Retrieved 9 February 2020.