Mine Design Department
|Research Department overview|
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
The Mine Design Department was an Admiralty research establishment, responsible for the design and development of mines from 1919 to 1946 when it was reconstituted as the Admiralty Mining Establishment.
A mining department was formed at the Admiralty in 1915, later becoming in 1919 the Mine Design Department (MDD), housed at HMS Vernon in Portsmouth. In 1946, after being dispersed to various places during the war, it was reconstituted at Leigh Park, Havant as the Admiralty Mining Establishment (AME).
- "Admiralty: Mine Design Department and Mining Establishment: Reports and Papers". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Kew, Surrey, England: National Archives UK. 1922–1958. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- National Archives UK.