Medical Department (Naval)
|Jurisdiction||Government of the Kingdom of England ]|
|Parent Department||Navy Department, (1964-2002)|
The Medical Department (Naval) and previously called the Department of the Medical Director-General of the Navy is the department responsible for the administration of the Royal Naval Medical Service established in 1966.
The department is controlled and directed by the Medical Director-General (Naval). Command is usually vested in a Surgeon Vice-Admiral or Surgeon Rear-Admiral or Surgeon-Commodore
- 1 Overview
- 2 In Command
- 3 Current Branches
- 4 Former Branches
- 5 Footnotes
- 6 Attribution
The Medical Department (Naval) was established in 1966 when it replaced the former Department of the Medical Director-General of the Navy. It is responsible for overseeing the Medical Branch of the Royal Navy, it provides comprehensive healthcare to ships, submarines and Royal Marine personnel at sea and on land. It provides primary care, deployed surgical support and, through the Primary Casualty Receiving Facility on board RFA Argus, it provides deployable hospital care. It provides specialist advice in fields of radiation protection, diving medicine and environmental medicine through the Institute of Naval Medicine. It also includes the Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service.
- 1969-1974, Surgeon Commodore: David Geoffrey Dalgliesh.
- 1981-1982, Surgeon Commodore: E E P Barnard.
- 1982-1985, Surgeon Commodore: Godfrey James Milton-Thompson.
- Head: Director of Medical Personnel and Logistics.
- Head: Director of Health and Research (Naval) (1974-1981)
- "Defence Medical Services". GOV.UK. Ministry of Defence UK. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Smith, Editor: G. H. (1 February 1974). The 8th Civil Service Year Book. London: H.M.S.O. p. 126. ISBN 0116302143.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "Surgeon Captain David Dalgliesh". The Daily Telegraph Newspaper. London. 17 June 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Howard, Editor: B. M. (1981). The 15th Civil Service Year Book. London: H.M.S.O. p. 123. ISBN 011000000 Check
|isbn=value: length (help).CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "Munks Roll Details for Godfrey James (Sir) Milton-Thompson". munksroll.rcplondon.ac.uk. London: Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Civil Service Year Book. 1974. p.126.
This article includes some copied content that is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0.