Leith Station

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Leith Station
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Active1745-1825
CountryUnited Kingdom
BranchNaval Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg Royal Navy
TypeStation
RoleConvoy Protection, Trade Protection
Part ofDepartment of Admiralty
Garrison/HQLeith Dockyard, Leith, Scotland
Commanders
FirstRear-Admiral of the Blue, John Byng
LastVice-Admiral of the White, Sir John P. Beresford,

The Leith Station was a naval command area of the British Navy from 1745 to 1825.

The command of the station was vested in the Commander-in-Chief, Leith formally known as the Commander-in-Chief at Leith and on the Coast of Scotland.

History

Royal Navy forces first began operating from Leith between 1709 and 1713 during the War of the Spanish Succession when the then Lord High Admiral Thomas Herbert ordered a new squadron to Leith Roads naval anchorage which was then placed under the command of the Provost of Edinburgh Sir Patrick Johnston.[1] Leith was initially used as an important port to protect convoys operating between the Orkney islands and Newcastle upon Tyne and to ports on the other side of the North Sea. [2]. The station was established in 1745 at the Port of Leith during the time of the French Revolutionary Wars and existed until 1825. The station throughout its existence was under the command of Commander-in-Chief, Leith who also duel-hatted in the role as Port Admiral, Leith.

In Command

Commander-in-Chief, Leith

:

Components under this Command

Naval Forces

Unit From To Ref
Leith Squadron 1720 1877 [3]

Naval Facilities

Unit From To Ref
Leith Dockyard 1720 1877

References

  1. Murdoch, Steve (2010). The Terror of the Seas?: Scottish Maritime Warfare 1513-1713. Leiden, Netherlands: BRILL. p. 306. ISBN 9004185682.
  2. Murdoch, Steve (2010). The Terror of the Seas?: Scottish Maritime Warfare 1513-1713. Leiden, Netherlands: BRILL. p. 306. ISBN 9004185682.
  3. Blake, Nicholas; Lawrence, Richard (2005). The Illustrated Companion to Nelson's Navy. Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, United States.: Stackpole Books. p. 22. ISBN 9780811732758.