Kingston Naval Dockyard

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
HM Naval Yard, Kingston
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Kingston, Ontario in Canada
Site information
OperatorRoyal Navy
Controlled byNavy Board (1813-1832)
Board of Admiralty (1832-1853)
Site history
In use1789–1853
Installation information
Resident Commissioner Kingston Ontario

The Kingston Naval Dockyard was initially a shore establishment of the Provincial Marine a branch of the British Army established in 1789. In 1814 the facility was transferred to Royal Navy as a Royal Naval Dockyard until 1853 when it was closed down. The naval yard was located at Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

The yard was controlled by British Navy Board from 1813 to 1832 when it was abolished and responsibility for the management of the world wide dockyard organisation passed to the Board of Admiralty.


The Naval Dockyard was established on Point Frederick in 1789 for the Provincial Marine, a branch of the British Army that provided transports and armed vessels to the colonial government. Point Frederick served as the Lake Ontario base of the British naval establishment and the headquarters of the senior naval officer on all the Great Lakes from 1789–1813. The naval yard was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1813. During the War of 1812, the dockyard built warships in a naval arms race with the American fleet based at nearby Sackets Harbor, New York, for control of Lake Ontario. The naval yard closed in 1835, the reopened again in 1837 until 1853 when it was closed again.

Administration of the Naval Yard (Navy Board)

From 1546 until 1660 all Royal Naval Dockyards were administered by the Council of the Marine. From 1660 were administered by a resident commissioner who supervised the other senior officers of the yard on behalf of the Navy Board in London. By an Order in Council dated 27 June 1832 it transferred administrative control of the dockyards organisation to the Board of Admiralty, and the role of the Resident Commissioner of the Navy was abolished and replaced by either a Captain Superintendent or Commodore Superintendent or Admiral-Superintendent depending on the size of the naval dockyard.[1][2] In 1971 all remaining flag officer's titled as admiral superintendent were renamed Port Admirals.

Resident Commissioner Kingston Ontario


  1. Writer.), E. MILES (Nautical; Miles, Lawford (1841). An epitome, historical and statistical, descriptive of the Royal Naval Service of England. By E. M., with the assistance of ... L. Miles ... With ... illustrations, etc. Ackermann & Company. p. 88.
  2. Archives, The National. "Navy Board and Admiralty: Yard Pay Books". The National Archives, 1660 to 1857, ADM 42. Retrieved 16 March 2018.