|HM Dockyard, Kilindini|
|Part of East Indies Station|
|Kilindini, Mombasa in British Kenya|
|Operator||Royal Indian Navy|
|Controlled by||Board of Admiralty|
East Indies Fleet
In 1887, the British East Africa Association assumed administrative authority for the Port of Mombasa, and the Sultan formally transferred the town to the British in 1898. It soon became the capital and part of the British East Africa Protectorate and the rail terminal at the sea for the Uganda Railway. Workers from British India were imported to build the railway, bringing new prosperity to the Port of Mombasa.
In 1895, the Port of Mombasa became part of the British Kenya protectorate, although the area was nominally under the rule of Zanzibar. During World War II, while Kenya was a British colony, Kilindini became the temporary base of the British Eastern Fleet from early 1942 until the Japanese naval threat to Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) had been removed. From November 1944 the dockyard was used to service the East Indies Fleet. The Port of Mombasa including Kilindini naval base and dockyard was officially part of Zanzibar until it was incorporated into the new independent state of Kenya in 1963.
Commander HM Dockyard, Kilindini (1942-1943)
Admiral-Superintendent, Kilindini (1943-1945)
- Rear-Admiral Charles Gage Stuart, 8 February, 1943 – 11 January 1944.
- Rear-Admiral: Richard Lorne Shelley, 11 January 1944 – January 1945.
- Wells, Anne Sharp (2000). The Anglo-American "special relationship" during the Second World War : a selective guide to materials in the British Library. [London]: Eccles Centre for American Studies, The British Library. p. 25. ISBN 0712344268.
- Houterman, J.N. "Royal Navy (RN) Officers 1939-1945 - S:". unithistories.com. Houterman and Kloppes. Retrieved 31 August 2020. On 14 March 1964 Shelley changed his surname to Benyon by deed poll.