Greenwich Hospital Department

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Greenwich Hospital Department
Board of Admiralty Flag 19th to early 20th Century.gif
Department overview
Formed1704
Dissolved1895
Department executive
  • Governor, Greenwich Hospital.
Parent departmentDepartment of Admiralty

Greenwich Hospital Department and originally called the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich was a permanent home for retired sailors of the Royal Navy, which operated from 1692 to 1895. Its buildings were later used by the Royal Naval College, Greenwich and the University of Greenwich, and are now known as the Old Royal Naval College.

The hospital was administered by the Governor, Greenwich Hospital.

History

The hospital was created as the Royal Hospital for Seamen at Greenwich on the instructions of Queen Mary II, who had been inspired by the sight of wounded sailors returning from the Battle of La Hogue in 1692. It was a permanent home for retired sailors of the Royal Navy, which operated from 1692 to 1869. Its buildings were later used by the Royal Naval College, Greenwich and the University of Greenwich, and are now known as the Old Royal Naval College. The word "hospital" was used in its original sense of a place providing hospitality for those in need of it, and did not refer to medical care, although the buildings included an infirmary which, after Greenwich Hospital closed, operated as Dreadnought Seaman's Hospital until 1986.The foundation which operated the hospital still exists, for the benefit of former Royal Navy personnel and their dependants. It now provides sheltered housing on other sites.

Head of Department

Governor, Greenwich Hospital

Footnotes