Grand River Naval Depot
|HM Naval Depot, Grand River|
|Part of North America Station|
North America and Lakes of Canada Station
North America and Newfoundland Station
|Grand River, Port Maitland, Ontario in Canada|
|Type||Naval Base and Naval Dockyard|
|Controlled by||Navy Board|
In 1815 the Royal Navy began building a depot on the present site of Port Maitland. Though intended in the event of war to accommodate three frigates and 1,000 men, the base actually supported only the four schooners which then made up the British naval force on Lake Erie.
The Rush-Bagot Agreement (1817) between Britain and the United States severely limited naval armament on the Great Lakes, and the depot was thereafter staffed by small detachments of soldiers. The wharf and four buildings were washed away in a storm in 1827, and the remaining buildings had largely fallen into ruin by 1834, when the establishment was abandoned by the Royal Navy.
- Collins, Gilbert (2006). Guidebook to the Historic Sites of the War of 1812: 2nd Edition, Revised and Updated. Toronto, Canada: Dundurn Press. p. 78. ISBN 978-1-4597-1243-0.