Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches
|Gibraltar & Mediterranean Approaches Command|
|Part of||Mediterranean Station|
|First||Vice-Admiral Sir Harold M. Burrough|
|Last||Vice-Admiral Sir Victor A.C. Crutchley|
Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches was a naval command of the British Royal Navy created in September, 1943 and existed until December, 1946. It was commanded by the Flag Officer Commanding, Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches.
Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches was a naval command of the British Royal Navy created in September, 1943 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy administered its worldwide responsibilities. It was defined so by the Department of Admiralty to identify the area jurisdiction of the Flag Officer Commanding, Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches and existed until December, 1946.
For command purposes the Royal Navy was divided into a number of major or local stations, fleets or or other formations, each normally under an admiral or senior officer.
Flag Officer Commanding, Gibraltar and Mediterranean Approaches
At various times it encompassed naval formations and other ships not attached to other fleets. In addition to shore establishments including, barracks, dockyards, depots, hospitals, refitting and re-supply bases, naval bases or victualling yards. Those components that were part of this station are shown below.
|Gibraltar Dockyard||date||date||Capt-Supt, Gibraltar Dockyard|