Gardner's Office

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Gardner's Office
Board of Admiralty Flag 19th to early 20th Century.gif
Office overview
Formed1700
Dissolved1827
JurisdictionGovernment of the United Kingdom
HeadquartersAdmiralty Building
Whitehall
London
Office executive
  • Admiralty Gardner
    (1700-1827)
Parent OfficeAdmiralty Secretariat
(1666-1860)

The Gardner's Office was a department of the British Admiralty established in 1700 the office was responsible the general maintenance of the grounds and gardens of the Admiralty building. The office was administered by the Admiralty Gardener appointed by the Board of Admiralty and it existed until 1827 when it was abolished.[1]

History

The Board of Admiralty approved the appointment of an Admiralty Gardner in 1700 and an office was first established within the Admiralty and Marine Affairs Office. The office holder was firstly responsible general maintenance of the grounds and gardens of the Admiralty buildings of the later Department of Admiralty. The office existed until 1827 when it was abolished.[2]

Head of the Office

Head Messenger

Included:[3]

  • 1700–1716 — F. Cooke.
  • 1716–1717 — F. Cooke. and J. Cooke (father and son jointly)
  • 1717–1741 — J. Cooke.
  • 1741–1786 — J. Tucker.
  • 1786–1812 — D. Combe.
  • 1812–1827 — W. Kitchen.

Footnotes

  1. Sainty, J.C. (1975). "Gardener c. 1700-1827, British History Online". www.british-history.ac.uk. London: University of London. p. 76. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
  2. Sainty. p.76.
  3. Sainty. p.76.

Bibliography

  1. 'Gardener c. 1700-1827', in Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 4, Admiralty Officials 1660-1870, ed. J C Sainty (London, 1975), p. 76. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/office-holders/vol4/p76 [accessed 25 July 2019].