Garden Island Naval Yard
|HM Naval Yard, Garden Island|
HMAS Kuttabul (1941-?)
|Part of East Indies Station (1858-1859)|
Australian Station (1859-1913)
|Garden Island, Sydney in Australia|
|Controlled by||Board of Admiralty|
|Occupants||Royal Navy East Indies Squadron|
Australia Division<br/Royal Australian Navy
Garden Island Naval Yard or formally His Majesty's Naval Yard,Garden Island was a Royal Naval Dockyard developed by the Department of Admiralty beginning in 1858. It was initially a repair and resupply base of the East Indies Station then later Australia Station. The yard was initially managed by the Board of Admiralty and operated by the Royal Navy until 1913.
Garden Island Naval Yard was located in Sydney, Australia, in 1858 the Admiralty acquired land on Garden Island in Sydney Harbour, and established a small naval base there. In the 1880's it was substantially expanded (though no dry docks were built, as the Navy had use of the facilities at nearby Cockatoo Island Dockyard operated by the Government of New South Wales). In 1913 HM Naval Yard, Garden Island was handed over to the nascent Royal Australian Navy and became a shore establishment of the Australia Station.