Flag Officer, Portsmouth
|Office of the Flag Officer, Portsmouth|
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Reports to||Commander-in-Chief, Naval Home Command|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed|
|Inaugural holder||Rear-Admiral E.James W. Flower|
The Flag Officer, Portsmouth was created following changes in the Naval Shore Command Organisation in the United Kingdom in July 1969 replacing the former duties of Commander-in-Chief, Portsmouth and Admiral-Superintendent Portsmouth with one area commander the Flag Officer Portsmouth Area. This office was created in August 1975 when the former post of Flag Officer Spithead was abolished. The office existed until October 1996 when it to was abolished.
On 14 October 1968 it was announced in the House Commons debate on the Ministry of Defence discussing part of the changes in the Naval Shore Command Organisation in the United Kingdom , the duties of Area Flag Officer for the Portsmouth Area and Admiral-Superintendent Portsmouth will be carried out by one Flag Officer. In July 1969 the HQ of the C-in-C Portsmouth until that post, together with that of C-in-C Plymouth, were subsumed into the post of C in C Naval Home Command based in Portsmouth. The two former C-in-C posts were re-graded as Area Flag Officers and a third area flag officer was created the Flag Officer Medway in charge of Medway Area Command.
Flag Officer Portsmouth was responsible for the control and direction of Portsmouth Area Command initially an area command that was enlarged becoming a regional command. He reported to the Commander-in-Chief, Naval Home Command.
- Rear-Admiral E.James W. Flower, August 1975 – October 1976
- Rear-Admiral Wilfrid J. Graham, October 1976 – January 1979
- Rear-Admiral Paul E. Bass, January 1979–January 1981
- Rear-Admiral Anthony S. Tippet, January 1981 – September 1983
- Rear-Admiral John C. Warsop, September 1983 – November 1985
- Rear-Admiral Anthony Wheatley, November 1985 – November 1987
- Rear-Admiral Kenneth J. Eaton, November 1987 – July 1989
- Rear-Admiral Jonathan J. R. Tod, July 1989 – September 1990
- Rear-Admiral David K. Bawtree, September 1990 – October 1993
- Rear-Admiral Neil E. Rankin, 12 October 1993 – October 1996.
- "Port Admirals (Commanders-in-Chief) Portsmouth (1714–1931)". History in Portsmouth. Archived from the original on 27 June 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- Paxton, J. (2016). The Statesman's Year-Book 1990-91. Berlin: Springer. p. 1315. ISBN 9780230271197.