Flag Officer, Second Flotilla
|Flag Officer, Second Flotilla|
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Navy Department, Ministry of Defence|
|Reports to||Commander-in-Chief, Fleet|
|Nominator||Secretary of State for Defence|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–4 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Rear-Admiral David Williams|
The Flag Officer, Second Flotilla, (FOF2) was a senior British Royal Navy appointment from 1971 to 1992.
After the creation of the single Commander-in-Chief Fleet post in 1971, its subordinate commands were reorganised. Three major sub-commands were created; the First Flotilla, Second Flotilla and Carriers and Amphibious Ships each commanded by a rear admiral. In 1990 the First Flotilla was re-designated Surface Flotilla. In April 1992, the system was changed when the Third Flotilla was abolished and the remaining two flotilla commanders became: Flag Officer, Surface Flotilla - responsible for operational readiness and training and Second Flotilla is now Flag Officer, UK Task Group - who would command any deployed task group.
- Rear-Admiral David Williams: November 1971-March 1972
- Rear-Admiral Andrew J. Miller: March 1972-March 1973
- Rear-Admiral Richard P. Clayton: March 1973-December 1974
- Rear-Admiral John D.E. Fieldhouse: December 1974-October 1976
- Rear-Admiral William D.M. Staveley: October 1976-March 1977
- Rear-Admiral Martin La T. Wemyss: March 1977-December 1978
- Rear-Admiral Peter M. Stanford: December 1978-October 1980
- Rear-Admiral Nicholas J.S. Hunt: October 1980-November 1981
- Rear-Admiral Robert W. F. Gerken: November 1981-October 1983
- Rear-Admiral D. Benjamin Bathurst: October 1983-April 1985
- Rear-Admiral W. Richard S. Thomas: April 1985-December 1986
- Rear-Admiral Guy F. Liardet: December 1986-March 1988
- Rear-Admiral A. Peter Woodhead: March 1988-August 1989
- Rear-Admiral Peter C. Abbott: August 1989-January 1991
- Rear-Admiral John R. Brigstocke: January 1991-April 1992
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. p. 89. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Watson, Dr Graham; Smith, Gordon (12 July 2015). "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013". www.naval-history.net. G. Smith. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- Mackie, Colin (April 2019). "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. C. Mackie. p. 217. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- Mackie, Colin. (2019) "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie. Scotland, UK.
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Smith, Gordon. (2015) "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013:FLEET ORGANISATION, 1981-2002". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith.