Flag Officer, First Flotilla
|Office of the|
Flag Officer, First Flotilla
|Navy Department (1967-1972)|
|Reports to||Commander-in-Chief, Fleet|
|Nominator||Second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Personnel|
|Appointer||Secretary of State for Defence|
Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
|Term length||not fixed|
usually 1-4 years
|Precursor||Flag Officer Flotillas, Western Fleet|
Flag Officer Flotillas, Far East Station
|First holder||Rear-Admiral John Ernle Pope|
|Final holder||Vice-Admiral A. Peter Woodhead|
Following the further downsizing of the Royal Navy the Western Fleet and Far East Fleet were merged into the single Commander-in-Chief Fleet in 1971. Within this new structure three rear-admirals' appointments were created, the Flag Officer First Flotilla, Flag Officer Second Flotilla and Flag Officer, Carriers and Amphibious Ships. In 1990 the First, Second and Third Flotillas were unified to create a single command and formation called the Surface Flotilla.
- Rear-Admiral John Ernle Pope June 1971-July 1971 (previously Flag Officer (Flotillas) Western Fleet)
- Rear-Admiral Arthur M. Power: July 1971-January 1973
- Vice-Admiral Iwan G. Raikes: January 1973-March 1974
- Vice-Admiral Henry C. Leach: March 1974-November 1975
- Vice-Admiral Anthony S. Morton: November 1975-March 1977
- Rear-Admiral Robert R. Squires: March 1977-October 1978
- Rear-Admiral David J. Hallifax: October 1978-April 1980
- Rear-Admiral D. Conrad Jenkin: April 1980-July 1981
- Rear-Admiral Sir John F. Woodward: July 1981-April 1983
- Rear-Admiral J. Jeremy Black: April 1983-April 1984
- Rear-Admiral Robin I.T. Hogg: April 1984-October 1986
- Vice-Admiral John B. Kerr: October 1986-July 1988
- Vice-Admiral John F. Coward: July 1988-September 1989
- Vice-Admiral A. Peter Woodhead: September 1989 – 1990
Note: the office is re-designated Flag Officer, Surface Flotilla.
- "Rear Admiral Jeremy Black (Hansard, 25 January 1984)". hansard.millbanksystems.com. Hansard, vol 52 c585W. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. p. 89. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Smith, Gordon. "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013:FLEET ORGANISATION, 1981-2002". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 12 July 2015. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. pp.214-215, Colin Mackie, April 2019. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Mackie, Colin. (April 2019) "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie. Scotland, UK.
- Roberts, John (2009). Safeguarding the Nation: The Story of the Modern Royal Navy. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. ISBN 9781848320437.
- Smith, Gordon. (2015) "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment 1947-2013:FLEET ORGANISATION, 1981-2002". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith.