East Indies and Cape of Good Hope Station
|East Indies and Cape of Good Hope Station|
|Part of||Department of Admiralty|
|First||Commodore Frederick Montresor|
|Last||Commodore Charles Hillyar|
The East Indies and Cape of Good Hope Station was a naval station and major command of the British Royal Navy created on 15 February, 1864  as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy administered its worldwide responsibilities. It was defined so by the Department of Admiralty to identify the area jurisdiction of the Commander-in-Chief, East Indies & Cape of Good Hope Station and existed until 29 July, 1867.
For command purposes the Royal Navy was divided into a number of major or local stations, fleets or or other formations, each normally under an admiral or senior officer.
The East Indies Station was established as a Royal Navy command in 1744 and the Cape of Good Hope Station was a first established as a major command and naval station of the Royal Navy in 1795. In 1864 due to a reorganisation of commands both stations were unified to create the East Indies and Cape of Good Hope Station until 1867 when they were separated back into independent commands.
Commander-in-Chief, East Indies and Cape of Good Hope Station
Post holders included:
|Commander-in-Chief, East Indies & Cape of Good Hope Station|
|1||Commodore First Class||Frederick Byng Montresor||17 January 1865 - 26 September 1865.|
|2||Commodore First Class||Charles Farrell Hillyar||26 September 1865 - 29 July 1867.|
At various times it encompassed naval formations and other ships not attached to other fleets. In addition to shore establishments including, barracks, dockyards, depots, hospitals, refitting and re-supply bases, naval bases or victualling yards. Those components that were part of this station are shown below.
|East Indies Squadron||1864||1867|||
|Cape of Good Hope Squadron||1864||1867|||
Dockyards, refitting and re-supply bases included.
|Cape of Good Hope Dockyard||1864||1867|
|Cape of Good Victualling Yard||1864||1867|
|Kidderpore Dockyard||1864||1867||(also called Calcutta Dockyard).|
|Trincomalee Victualling Yard||1864||1867|
|Royal Naval Hospital, Cape of Good Hope||1864||1867|
|Royal Naval Hospital, Trincomalee||1864||1867|
- Parkinson, Jonathan (2018). The Royal Navy, China Station: 1864 - 1941: As seen through the lives of the Commanders in Chief. Leicester, England.: Troubador Publishing Ltd. p. 31. ISBN 9781788035217.
- Davis, Peter. "Principal Royal Navy Commanders-in-Chief 1830-1899". www.pdavis.nl. Zeist, Netherlands: P. Davis. Retrieved 15 December 2019.
- "Records of Stations and Fleets". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Kew, Surrey, England.: National Archives UK. 1702–1969. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, January 2020, p.159. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Zerbe, Britt (2013). The Birth of the Royal Marines, 1664-1802. Woodbridge, United Kingdom.: Boydell Press. p. 222. ISBN 978-1-84383-837-1.
- Walker, Michael (2005). The far south : where oceans meet : Fish Hoek, Kommetjie, Simon's Town, Cape Point : a brief history illustrated with postcards of a bygone era (1st ed.). Cape Town, South Africa.: M.J. Walker. p. 28. ISBN 9780620333276.