Director, Carrier Strike
|Office of the Director, Carrier Strike|
|Ministry of Defence|
|Appointer||Secretary of State for Defence|
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–3 years)|
|First holder||Rear-Admiral Henry Hardyman Parker|
The Director Carrier Strike is a senior Royal Navy flag officer appointment established in 2013. The office holder is responsible for the formulation of policy and delivery of the navy's new strategic Carrier Strike Capability program.
Carrier Strike is a military capability programme to provide the ability to launch aircraft from a ship to undertake a range of military tasks. It is central to the government’s plans for the country’s armed forces and the first step towards Carrier Enabled Power Projection (CEPP), which is the government’s ambition to be able to respond to conflicts and support humanitarian relief efforts anywhere in the world at short notice.
Carrier Strike is based around two Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers – the largest warships ever built for the Royal Navy – together with Lightning II jets, which are being procured through the United States Department of Defense.
The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) is also buying a new airborne radar system, Crowsnest, to help protect a carrier strike group. Depending on the type of deployment, the carriers will be accompanied by at least one destroyer, an anti submarine warfare frigate, and ships for support and resupply.
The lead admiral of the carrier strike programme is currently titled as the Director, Carrier Strike.
- Rear-Admiral Henry Hardyman Parker, 2013 - May, 2014.
- Rear-Admiral Graeme Mackay CBE May 2014 - January, 2018.
- Rear-Admiral Matt Briers, January, 2018 - current.
- "Parker, Rear Adm. Henry Hardyman, (born 20 Dec. 1963), Director (Ships Acquisition), since 2014; (retired RN 2016); Head, Royal Corps of Naval Constructors, since 2017". WHO'S WHO & WHO WAS WHO (2020). London and Oxford, England.: A & C Black and Oxford University Press. 1 December 2019. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.u256089. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Commons, House of (18 January 2018). "Delivering Carrier Strike - Committee of Public Accounts - House of Commons". publications.parliament.uk. UK Parliament. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- Briers, Rear Adm. Matthew Peter, (born 10 Jan. 1966), Director, Carrier Strike, since 2018, WHO'S WHO & WHO WAS WHO (2020). 1 December 2020, https://doi.org/10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U290575, A & C Black and Oxford University Press, London and Oxford, England.