Department of the Inspector-General of Naval Hospitals and Fleets
|Jurisdiction||Government of the Kingdom of England ]|
|Parent Department||Department of Admiralty|
The Department of the Inspector-General of Naval Hospitals and Fleets and originally called the Department of the Physician General of the Navy was the admiralty department responsible for the Management of Medical Services.
In 1692 a more formalised body was created for the treatment for sick and wounded naval personnel at seaport hospitals formally called the Commissioners of the Sick and Hurt Board or simply the Sick and Hurt Board it was a subsidiary office of the Navy Office until 1806, when medical officers of the Royal Navy had been under the direction of the Transport Board. From 1806 the medical officers of the Royal Navy had been under the direction of the Transport Board (with which the ancient Sick and Hurt Board, established in the time of Henry VIII, was combined in that year).
In 1817 the Transport Board was combined with the Navy Board, and responsibility for medical officers passed to the Victualling Board. In 1832 the two remaining boards (the Navy Board and the Victualling Board) were abolished by the new First Lord, Sir James Graham. A Physician of the Navy, reporting to one of the Lords of the expanded Board of Admiralty, was placed in charge of the Medical Department of the Navy the title of this officer was soon changed to Physician-General of the Navy in 1835 then to Inspector-General of Naval Hospitals and Fleets in 1841, then to Director-General of the Medical Department of the Navy in 1844.
Inspector-General of Naval Hospitals and Fleets
- Davis, Paul. "The Organisation of the Medical Department of the Royal Navy". www.pdavis.nl. Zeist, Netherlands: P. Davis. Retrieved 12 August 2019.