Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons
Board of Admiralty Flag 20th Century.png
Agency overview
Formed1946
Preceding
Dissolved1953
Superseding department
JurisdictionGovernment of the United Kingdom
Agency executive
  • Director of Underwater Weapons
Parent agencyDepartment of Admiralty

Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons was a subsidiary of the Department of Admiralty established in 1946 following a renaming of the former Department of the Director of Torpedoes and Mining. It was controlled by the Director of Director of Underwater Weapons. In 1953 its name was altered again to the Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons Materiel's.

History

During the First World War in April 1917 the Torpedo Department of the Naval Ordnance Department was made a separate department in its own right this became known as the Department of the Director of Torpedoes and Mining. Following World War Two in 1946 it was renamed the Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons until October 1956 when it was renamed the Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons Material's . In 1958 the Naval Ordnance Department and this department became divisions of the new Weapons Department.[1]

References

  1. Great Britain, Admiralty (January 1958). The Navy List. London, England: HM Stationary Office. p. 1242.