Department of the Director of Torpedoes and Mining

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search

The Department of the Director of Torpedoes and Mining was a subsidiary of the Department of Admiralty established in 1917 following a renaming of the former Torpedo Department. It was controlled by the Director of Torpedoes and Mining. In 1946 its name was altered again to the Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons.

History

During the First World War in April 1917 the Torpedo Department of the Naval Ordnance Department was made a separate department in its own right this became known as the Department of the Director of Torpedoes and Mining. Following World War Two in 1946 it was renamed the Department of the Director of Underwater Weapons

Head of Department

Included:[1]

Director of Torpedoes and Minining

  1. Rear-Admiral the Hon. Edward S. Fitzherbert: April 1917 – June 1918
  2. Captain Frederick L. Field: June 1918 – April 1920
  3. Captain Albert P. Addison: April 1920 – March 1922
  4. Captain Leonard A.B.Donaldson: March 1922 – May 1924
  5. Captain Brien M. Money: May 1924 – October 1926
  6. Captain Arthur H. Walker: October 1926 – December 1928
  7. Captain Brian Egerton: December 1928 – December 1931
  8. Captain Henry R.Sawbridge: December 1931 – April 1934
  9. Captain William B. Mackenzie: April 1934 – October 1935
  10. Captain W. Frederic Wake-Walker: October 1935 – January 1938
  11. Captain John U.P.Fitzgerald: January 1938 – February 1940
  12. Captain Henry C. Phillips: February 1940 – February 1942
  13. Captain Gervase B. Middleton: February 1942 – January 1943 (later Admiral)
  14. Captain Anthony Fane de Salis: February 1943 – November 1944
  15. Captain William W. Davis: November 1944 – February 1946
  1. Mackie, Colin (January 2018). "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865: Director of Torpedoes and Mining" (PDF). gulabin.com. C. Mackie. p. 39. Retrieved 3 February 2019.