Department of the Director of Manning
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent department||Office of the Second Sea Lord|
The Department of the Director of Manning was an Admiralty Department created in 1946. In 1964 it was transferred as part of the new Navy Department and in 1973 it was abolished. The department was overseen by the Second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Personnel.
A Mobilisation Division of the Admiralty Naval Staff was first established in May 1917  which had evolved out of the Mobilisation Division (Admiralty War Staff). On 12 January 1918 the mobilisation division of the Naval Staff was abolished and replaced by Mobilisation Department now part of the department of the Second Sea Lord. In December, 1930 when it was renamed the Manning Department until May, 1934 when it was abolished. In March 1946 this department was revived under a new name the Department of the Director of Manning until 1964 when the Department of Admiralty was unified into the Ministry of Defence and became the Navy Department. This department continued as part of this new organisation until 1973 when it was abolished.
Head of Department
Director of Manning
- Captain Charles P. Clarke: March 1946 – January 1948
- Captain Hugh St. L. Nicolson: January – November 1948
- Captain George E. Fardell: November 1948 – March 1950
- Captain Royston H. Wright: March 1950 – December 1951
- Captain Roger S. Wellby: December 1951 – December 1953
- Captain Nigel H.G. Austen: December 1953 – December 1955
- Captain Lionel W. L. Argles: December 1955 –December 1957
- Captain Godfrey B. Teale: December 1957 – May 1960
- Captain Peter J. Wyatt: May 1960 – September 1961
- Captain Hugo H. Bracken: September 1961 – December 1963
- Captain Henry R. Hewlett: December 1963 – September 1965
- Captain Ronald C.C. Greenlees: September 1965 – January 1968
- Captain Barrie H. Kent: January 1968 – March 1970
- Captain John L. Spanyol: March 1970 – 1973
- Kennedy, Paul (24 April 2014). The War Plans of the Great Powers (RLE The First World War): 1880-1914. Routledge. p. 128. ISBN 9781317702528.
- Black, Nicholas (2009). The British naval staff in the First World War (1. publ., transferred to digital pr. ed.). Woodbridge: Boydell Press. p. 155. ISBN 9781843834427.
- Mackier, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865: Directors of Mobilisation/Manning" (PDF). gulabin.com. Scotland.: C Mackie. p. 49. Retrieved 28 February 2020.